Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Chosen to Bear Testimony of My Name by Elder David A. Bednar

When Elder Bednar tells us what Elder Hales told him, my eyes start leaking and continue through most of the talk. I will not say the rest of the talk is talking about me, but when he reports what Elder Hales answer is, I thought yes, I have found that too.
Elder Hales paused for a moment and responded, “When you cannot do what you have always done, then you only do what matters most.”
I have witnessed repeatedly my Brethren striving diligently to fulfill and magnify their responsibilities while struggling with serious physical problems. These men are not spared from affliction. Rather, they are blessed and strengthened to press forward valiantly while suffering in and with affliction.
I am blessed to observe on a daily basis the individual personalities, capacities, and noble characters of these leaders. Some people find the human shortcomings of the Brethren troubling and faith diminishing. For me those imperfections are encouraging and faith promoting.
These valiant Brethren devoted their “whole souls” (Omni 1:26) to testifying of the name of Jesus Christ in all the world.
Like I said, I am not saying the rest of the talk is a description of me but I do love that phrase,  “When you cannot do what you have always done, then you only do what matters most.” The other day someone asked me my hobbies, literally had no idea what to say. I couldn't come up with anything, sure I use to like to sew, I use to read, but literally all I do is take care of my children, myself and go to church. I haven't been able to do what I've always done, so I can only do what Sister Reeves told me to do. I can not tell you how many things I cut out of our lives after Sister Reeves's talk. 
I listened to multiple moms say, I'm not sure what I'm going to do when my next baby comes. My response is always the same, nothing. You are going to sit on your couch and hold your baby and child, because soon they will grow up so you will never regret holding them on the couch all day. Literally nothing else matters. That's my hobby, holding my babies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment