Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Howard W. Hunter Lesson 1

This year in 3rd hour the adults are studying President Hunter. He is the first prophet I remember hearing speak live, so I can't begin to explain how excited I am. His first lesson truly spoke to me, gave me answer to prayers I've been wrestling with for months. I've decided to copy and paste all of section 4. Emphasis added by me.
As we exercise faith in the Savior, He will calm the troubled waters of our lives.
All of us have seen some sudden storms in our lives. A few of them … can be violent and frightening and potentially destructive. As individuals, as families, as communities, as nations, even as a church, we have had sudden squalls arise which have made us ask one way or another, “Master, carest thou not that we perish?” [Mark 4:38.] And one way or another we always hear in the stillness after the storm, “Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?” [Mark 4:40.]
None of us would like to think we have no faith, but I suppose the Lord’s gentle rebuke here is largely deserved. This great Jehovah, in whom we say we trust and whose name we have taken upon us, is he who said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.” (Gen. 1:6.) And he is also the one who said, “Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear.” (Gen. 1:9.) Furthermore, it was he who parted the Red Sea, allowing the Israelites to pass through on dry ground. (See Ex. 14:21–22.) Certainly it should be no surprise that he could command a few elements acting up on the Sea of Galilee. And our faith should remind us that he can calm the troubled waters of our lives. …
We will all have some adversity in our lives. I think we can be reasonably sure of that. Some of it will have the potential to be violent and damaging and destructive. Some of it may even strain our faith in a loving God who has the power to administer relief in our behalf.
To those anxieties I think the Father of us all would say, “Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?” And of course that has to be faith for the whole journey, the entire experience, the fulness of our life, not simply around the bits and pieces and tempestuous moments. …
Jesus said, “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33.)
For months I've been wondering why, why have my trials tested me so much, I truly feel like my last year and half has been at times violent, frightening and potentially destructive, a third bout of postpartum depression will do that, each time it gets worse. It was such a relief to hear a prophet of the Lord validate my feelings, because I know when all is said and done, Jesus Christ performed the atonement to validate our pain, so we can move on, learn and strive for perfection. I also can follow up with my agreeance of his testimony. Through every second of the storm the spirit is always whispering what the Lord wants for me. I don't think born and raised LDS members of the church often realize how often the Spirit is talking to us when we have been "blessed to always have the spirit be with us". That's not a figure of speech, that's literal.

No comments:

Post a Comment